The village of Cathcart was originally named Taylors Flat when James Taylor moved his stock into the area and squatted on the land. When the area was surveyed in 1857 it was renamed Cathcart after General Cathcart of Crimean War fame. The village retains its links with its pioneer past with memorabilia on display and a pioneer remembrance wall outside the Old Hall. Enjoy a self-guided town walk featuring plaques recording the local history of various sites. Visit the General Store that was operated by the same family for over 100 years and features an old collection of advertising posters.