Named after the village of Appin in Scotland, this historic town dating back to 1811 is one of the earliest colonial villages in the colony of Sydney. In 1824, explorers Hume and Hovell commenced their expedition to Port Phillip from this district, and a monument stands on the road from Campbelltown commemorating the beginning of that journey. Today, Appin has many colonial buildings to admire including the Appin public school, historic churches, and the Old Rectory. Enjoy the rugged beauty of the area on the drive between Appin and Douglas Park, through Broughtons Pass and crossing the Cataract River and Cataract Dam. For details of the Appin Historical Society Heritage Walk brochure check out their website.