Abalone and Crayfish Fishing Rules in Australia
Abalone & Crayfish Fishing Rules
Abalone and lobster can be caught on some beaches or waters of Australia, but need to buy fishery certificates (a fishing permit). If you want to go abalone and crayfish fishing, please follow the government's regulations. Different provinces, regions and areas have different regulations and rules , if not follow, the fines is very heavy. For the processing of fishery certificates you should go to the official website, please go to the bottom of the following link page to inquire about the requirements of different provinces. http://www.agriculture.gov.au/fisheries/recreational
1. There are three main types of abalone in Australia: black lip abalone, green lip abalone, black and green lip Mix.
2. Go abalone fishing need to buy an abalone fishing permit card (short for RFL), it’s a non-transferable fishing license, the easiest way to get it is to buy online. Catching abalone must follow the regulations promulgated by the local fishery administration, when fishing must carry a fishing license and please make sure whether the area that you go is open to the public.
3. Please take the legal tools to go abalone fishing, it include wet suit, diving flippers, goggles, abalone knife, abalone ruler, gloves and other items, offenders will be have a heavy fine. It’s everyone is responsible to protect the ecosystem.
4. Pry abalone utensils must be blunt, can not use knife, screwdriver and other sharp tools to pry abalone, in case it hurt the abalone. The catchier size of different types of abalone in different regions are different, each one that you catch must be measured, if the size is smaller than the limit it cannot be caught, please put it back to its original position with the back side up.
5. In Victoria, abalone should only be caught during the day time; it’s not allowed to catch at night. The fisherman can only catch abalone under the water of 2 meters deep. After being caught, it is prohibited to peel the abalone in the water area and must bring the abalone back home.
6. In Victoria, the number of abalone to be caught at a time is five of the black lip (up to two green lip abalone), can only carry with a limit of 10 abalone (up to 4 green lip abalone) . In Tasmania is allow to catch 10 abalone each time. Carrying abalone means the shell abalone that you carry at a time.
7. If you have a boat, no matter how many people above, you can only grab 10 abalone, it’s the boat limit. If go dive, a person can only catch five. The most important thing is that the abalone you catch can not be sold.
8. Abalones in Australia are almost everywhere. In addition, there are small sharks and devil fish in Australia's offshore waters. They are not so terrible, but they are also dangerous. Please note if there is a warning sign. Abalone fishing is fun activities, please pay attention to safety.
9. The following is Tasmania’s official website to capture abalone, please take a look: http://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/sea-fishing-aquaculture/recreational-fishing/abalone-fishing
1. Catch lobster also need to have a permit, all lobster fishermen can only catch the lobster in the specified seasons, in addition, each caught lobster need to measure the head shell, it at least need to reach the required to be capture, if it’s under size, must put it back into the sea. It is important to note that the size requirements for male lobster and female lobster are different.
2. Caught lobster need to cut off the tail section, indicating that this lobster is not allowed to trade.
3. Capture limit is different in different regions, in some places can only catch 2, and in some places can only catch 4, the carrying limit is also different in different regions. If there is a boat, then the number of vessels carried with the number of individuals with different, the details go to the local official website.
4. Please be ware of lobster banned fishing period, must not go to catch.
5. he following is the official website of Tasmania lobster fishing rules: